The impact of the Governor's "Shelter In" order has, of course, brought the plans and scheduled activities of our local Community Service Organizations to a screeching halt.
Meetings - Cancelled, Fundraisers - Cancelled, Service Activities - Cancelled and the list goes on and on.
Here is Livonia, and I am sure in other District 11a1 communities, Lions Clubs are finding, new and inventive ways to serve.
Here is a small list of ways that the Livonia Lions and other service clubs are trying to help out in our Community.
1) Check up regularly on our senior shut ins and make sure they are well.
2) Shop for groceries for our senior shut ins.
3) Make cotton masks at home for use by staff at area hospitals and now, our citizens.
4) Collect and redistribute "Ear Savers" being manufactured by several residents who possess 3D printers. (See Picture)
5) Raise funds to help purchase Personal Protection Products for our first responders, ie...medical staff, police, fire, paramedics, etc
6) Collect PPP from non-essential providers (i.e. dentists, veterinarians, hair dressers, construction) and redistributing to our first responders.
Responding to a reduction in food service for the medical staff at St. Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia SMML), the Livonia Lions Club formed an alliance with our Rotary, Jaycees and Kiwanis Clubs to gather food from our small business community and deliver donations of food to SMML twice daily.
We are fundraising and purchasing additional food as needed to fill the schedule. Single serving food items include cold sandwiches, hot food, fresh fruit
and snack bags. We are starting to find success with our "Share the Burden" program where we share the cost of the food with our food providers.
How else can "We Serve" during the COVID 19 pandemic?
I would like to hear ideas from other District 11a1 Lions Clubs. Please share this email with our Clubs and invite their reply.
Thank you in advance for your support of this request.
Lion Matt Collins
Livonia Lions Club